Louis Pastuer was a French chemist and microbiologist born in Dole. He is remembered for his remarkable breakthroughs in the cause and prevention of diseases. His discoveries reduced mortality from puerperal fever, and he created the first vaccine for rabies and anthrax. His experiments supported the germ theory of disease. He is best known to the general public for inventing a method to stop milk and wine from causing sickness, a process that came to be called pasteurization. He is regarded as one of the three main founders of microbiology, together with Ferdinand Cohn and Robert Koch.
Message of the Chair
Professor & Head of the Department
Message of the Chair
Established in 1967 under the broad umbrella of Pathology & Bacteriology, this department evolved into an independent Department of Microbiology under the leadership of Dr.Ramajeyam. The department presently serves a nodal point for microbiology diagnosis, research and teaching for the southern districts of the State of Tamilnadu. This department has grown in tandem with the medical needs of our patients and the society around. A Voluntary Counseling & Testing Centre for HIV was established in 1999, which was later elevated to a Regional Reference Laboratory under NACO in 2000 and a Integrated Counseling & Testing Centre in 2002. Molecular Diagnostics Lab was established in 2010.
|Succession of Heads of Department|
|Dr.Ramajeyam MD DCP||1977||-1984|
|Dr.Ganapathy Sundaram MD||1984||-1996|
|Dr.Vasantha Babu MD||1996||-2001|
|Dr.Indra Priyadharshini MD||2003||-2008|
|Dr. C.Revathy||2014||On Date|
Samples are received at the Common Collection Centre of the Central Diagnostic Laboratory for OPD patients. Samples are collected at the bedside for patients indoor.
|Basic Microbiology: Direct Microscopy – Gram Stain, Acid Fast Stain, Fluorescent Stain, Hanging Drop Procedure, Alberts Stain, Spore Stain, Capsular Stain, Flagellar Stain, Sputum Concentration Technique,Giemsa stain|
|Serology:Widal Test, Brucella Test, Weil-Felix Test, Card Tests, Rheumatoid Factor, ASO Test, RPR Test, CRP Test, Lepto-chek, ELISA for Leptospira,ANA, Scrub typhus|
|Virology: Card Tests for HBsAg, HCV, HIV; ELISA: Dengue (IgM, IgG,NS1), Chik, Japanese B Encephalitis, HIV, HBV HCV, HAV, HEV,West nile|
|Bacteriology: Culture, Biochemical Tests, Antibiogram, Aerobic Culture for Theatre Sterilization, Anaerobic Culture including Tetanus|
|Mycology: KOH Mount, Lacto-phenol Cotton Blue Mount, India Ink Preparation, Fungal Culture|
|Parasitology: Stool Examination, Wet Saline & Iodine Mount, Modified Acid Fast Stain, Concentration Techniques, Blood Smear Examination For MP/MF|
|Molecular lab: PCR facilities for H1N1, Dengue,HCV,HBV,HPV|
- Infection Control in Tirunelveli Medical College Hospital.
- Development of Antibiotic Policy for Tirunelveli Medical
- College Hospital.
- In-house monitoring of the safety of water in the TVMC & TVMCH campus.
- Monitoring of Operation Theatres in TVMC, and other Government and Corporate Medical Institutes in Tirunelveli District.
- Monitoring of Biomedical Waste Management and Training of Stakeholders
- Maintenance of Mother cultures for research and diagnostic activities.
GRADUATE ACADEMIC PROGRAMS
The department trains graduate medical students during the 3rd to 5th semesters. The curriculum, affiliated to the Tamilnadu Dr.M.G.R.Medical University integrates theoretical and practical training to the 150 students every year. The students are also encouraged to undertake Short term projects under ICMR during the course period. The course includes a planned yearly calendar of didactic lectures, seminars, symposia, integrated sessions and clinical interaction sessions. The department also encourages the students to undertake community studies in microbiology.
RESIDENCY TRAINING PROGRAM
The department has 15 residency posts with 5 fresh intakes a year. The residents are taken through a program as per the Tamilnadu Dr.M.G.R.Medical University regulations and integrate theoretical, clinical and practical training spread over three years. The students are also encouraged to undertake Short term research projects and make a detailed research thesis to be completed and presented before the end of the three years. The course includes a planned yearly calendar of three monthly residency posts with didactic lectures, seminars, symposia, integrated sessions, clinical interaction sessions, journal clubs and case discussions. The department also encourages the students to undertake community studies in microbiology.
Eligibility: M.B.B.S. Degree from any Indian university recognized by the Medical Council of India & and obtained permanent registration from any of the State Medical Councils.
Course duration: 3 years.
Selection procedure: Selection for two/three of the five seats of residents will through the Tamilnadu Post Graduate Entrance Examination and the remaining three/two seats through the All India Post Graduate Entrance Examination conducted by DGHS, New-Delhi.
Academic Curriculum: The objective of the program is to: (1) Establish good clinical microbiological services in a hospital and in the community in the fields of bacteriology, virology, parasitology, immunology and mycology. (2) Plan, execute and evaluate teaching assignments in Medical Microbiology.(3) Plan, execute, analyze and present the research work in Medical Microbiology.(4) Conduct such clinical and experimental research, as would have a significant bearing on human health and patient care.(5) Encourage interaction with the allied departments by rendering services in advanced laboratory investigations and relevant expert opinion.(6) Encourage the student to participate is various workshops / seminars / journal clubs / demonstration in the allied departments, to acquire various skills for collaborative research.(7) Uphold the prestige of the discipline amongst the fraternity of doctors.(8) Undergo specialization in any of the sub-specialties
Ongoing Research Projects
- Detection of Enteroviruses in Dengue negative patients with suspected Enterovirus or meningoencephalitis and application of Real Time Reverse Transcriptase PCR Assay for the diagnosis of Enteroviruses. – Dr.Sangeetha.A
- Detection of Autoimmune markers in prediction and diagnosis of Type I Diabetes mellitus in genetically susceptible individuals. –Dr.Rooheezubaidha.
- Genotyping of Human papilloma virus in cervical lesions A potential screening tool for cancer cervix in a tertiary care centre. – Dr.Ashwini.V
- Detection of EBV in HIV infected individuals on Antiretroviral therapy using Molecular method at a tertiary care centre in South Tamilnadu. – Dr.Jayaswarya.S.K
- Detection of Herpes simplex virus in Dengue negative suspected HSV or Meningoencephalitis of Real Time PCR Assay. – Dr.Malathi.G
- Detection of Vancomycin resistant Enerococci with VanA genotype in clinical isolates from a tertiary care centre – Dr.E.Manimala
- Phenotypic and genotypic characterization of vancomycin resistant Staphylococcus aureus among Methicillin Resistant Staphylococcus aureus. –Dr.Uma .R
- Prognostic and pathophysiological role of pro inflammatory and regulatory cytokines in Dengue fever – Dr.Saishruti
- Erg11 expression in azole resistant candida species isolated fom diabetic patients in atertiary care centre. –Dr.Gracia
- Rapid diagnosis of Typhoid fever by Immunochromatographic assay and molecular analysis of Plasmid mediated Quinolone resistance in clinical isolates in a tertiary care centre. – Dr.Mayakumar
- Prevalence of triple viral infections of human deficiency virus (HIV), Hepatitis B Virus and Hepatitis C Virus infection among tuberculosis patients. –Dr.S.I.SaheedAskar
- Presepsin-diagnostic marker for neonatal sepsis in comparison with other neonatal sepsis markers.Dr.Srividhya
- Prevalence of central line associated blood stream infection and impact of bundle care approach in critical care patients in tertiary care hospital.Dr.Priyadharshini
- Prevalence of anaerobic bacteria in surgical infections in a tertiary care hospital.Dr.V.thanalingam
- Correlation of regulatory cytokine IL-10 in secondary dengue patients in a Tertiary care centre.Dr.Cini B Fernz
- Detection of Chlamydia trachomatis in female patients with infertility .Dr.Aparnna.V.S
- Predictive value of brain natriuretic peptide in sepsis- Dr.Rajasri
- Serological evidence of neurocysticercosis among patients with new onset seizure.Dr.ReachelReena
- Estimation of Hepatitis B viral load in Hepatitis B e Antigen negative CHB patients- Dr.C.Kaviya
- Analysis of malaria diagnostic tools – Microscopy and Rapid Antigen detection
- Comparative study of IgM ELISA and WIDAL in the diagnosis of Typhoid fever
- Detection of baseline titer of antibody to HBsAg in non- vaccinated health care workers
- Comparison of MAT and Immunochromatography in the diagnosis of leptospirosis
- Diagnostic value of anticyclic citrullinated peptide antibodies compared with Rheumatoid factor in patients with rheumatoid arthritis.
- Seropositivity of anti- rubella antibodies among health care workers.
- Comparative study of Dot enzyme immunoassay and Widal test in the diagnosis of typhoid fever.
- Serological profile of HSV – 2 in STD patients: Evaluation of diagnostic utility of HSV-2 IgM and IgG detection. (ICMR,NewDelhi)
- Microbiologic profile of chronic suppurative otitis media in a tertiary care hospital.
- Detection of MBL producing Pseudomonas aeruginosa in Tirunelveli medical college hospital.
- Clinico-mycological profile of Dermatophytes in Tirunelveli medical college hospital.
- Asymptomatic bacteriuria in healthy individuals in Tirunelveli district
- Comparison of stool antigen with PCR in gastric biopsy material of Helicobacter pylori
- Prevalence of Syphilis in normal population and high risk population.
- Evaluation of conventional methods and molecular methods for the detection of Carbapenamase among clinical isolates of Enterobacteriaceae.
- Prevalence of ESBL among Enterobacteriaceae in urinary specimens in Tirunelveli Medical College Hospital
- Clostridium difficile infection in Tirunelveli Medical College Hospital.
- Prevalence of Dengue IgG in normal population
- Detection of CMV by ELISA and PCR in immunocompromised patients.
- A rapid latex agglutination test for qualitative and semi qualitative detection of Toxoplasma gondii antibodies in different patient categories. (ICMR,NewDelhi)
- Occurrence of ESBL and MBL in clinical isolate of Pseudomonas Aeruginosa – an emerging threat to clinical therapeutics. (ICMR,NewDelhi)
- UTI in elderly – A clinical and Microbiological study. (ICMR,NewDelhi)
- The significance of CSF Adenosine Deaminase and CRT estimation in meningitis in adults (ICMR, NewDelhi).
- Comparison of diagnostic methods in bacterial vaginosis in a tertiary care hospital.
- Prevalence of allergic fungal sinusitis among candidates for functional endoscopic sinus surgery. (ICMR,NewDelhi)
- Comparison of Immunochromatography with RTPCR for detection of Rotavirus in fecal samples.
- Clinical Chikungunya cases – A follow up serology after 1-2 years.
- Evaluation of Chromagar and PCR for detection of MRSA from clinical isolate.
- Comparison of Rapid Immunochromatography test with ELISA for Anti HCV antibody detection in patients on hemodialysis.
- Seroprevalence of Brucellosis among animal handlers.
- Asymptomatic candiduria and species identification in Diabetic patients.
- Association of ANA in pregnant women with bad obstetric history.
- Baseline widal titer among healthy volunteer.
- Serodiagnosis of Dengue in pediatric patient – Importance of NS1 Antigen.
- Prevalence of Streptococcal throat carriage in children.
- Bacteriological profile and antibiogram of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease cases – A prospective study. (ICMR,NewDelhi)
- Use of Adenosine deaminase as a rapid diagnostic tool for TB in pleural effusion. (ICMR,NewDelhi)
- Phenotypic differentiation of BORSA from MRSA : Comparison of susceptibility testing methods and MRSA LAT. (ICMR,NewDelhi)
- An investigation of microbiological contamination of ultrasound probes: Evaluation of cleaning methods to reduce it. (ICMR,NewDelhi)
- Study of prevalence of clindamycin resistance among Staphylococcus.
- Prevalence of HCV infection among haemodialysis patients.
- Efficacy of Hepatitis B vaccines in health care workers.
- Revathy C, Sucilathangam G , Amudha VP, Velvizhi G. A comparative study of the ELISA and IF methods for detection of Antinuclear antibodies characteristic of connective tissue diseases. International Journal of Scientific Research, 2016; 5(9):341-343.
- Evaluation of different Staining Techniques in the Diagnosis of Trichomonas vaginalisInfection in Females of Reproductive Age Group.Int J Curr Microbiol App Sci,2016;5(12):620-627.
- Gnanaguru P1., Murali, R2 and Subash Chandra Bose3 epidemiology and risk factors of nosocomial infection in icu in hospitals at state of puducherryInternational Journal of Recent Scientific Research Vol. 10, Issue, 02(F), pp. 31043-31044, February, 2019
- Gnanaguru P1., Murali, R2 and Subash Chandra Bose3 skin and soft-tissue infections caused by community acquired methicillin resistant staphylococcus aureus International Journal of Current Advanced Research Volume 8; Issue 01(B); February 2019
- M.A. Ashiha Begum*, Kumar and Mani A Comparative Study on CD4 Count and Sputum Smear Examination by Fluorescent Microscopy in Retroviral Positive Patients in a Tertiary Care Centre International Journal of Current Microbiology and Applied Sciences ISSN: 2319-7706 Volume 8 Number 03 (2019)
- E. Manimala*, I.M. Rejitha and C. Revathy Detection of Vancomycin Resistant Enterococci in Various Clinical Sample Isolates from a Tertiary Care Centre. International Journal of Current Microbiology and Applied Sciences ISSN: 2319-7706 Volume 8 Number 02 (2019)
- Maya Kumar1*, G. Velvizhi1, G. Sucilathangam2 and C. Revathy1 A Comparative Study of Blood Culture, Widal Test and Immunochromatographic Assay for Rapid Diagnosis of Typhoid Fever in a Tertiary Care Centre International Journal of Current Microbiology and Applied Sciences ISSN: 2319-7706 Volume 8 Number 02 (2019)
- R. Uma Maheswari1* , B. Cinthujah1 , Prevalence and Antibiotic Resistance Pattern of Methicillin Resistant Staphylococcus aureus Isolates in a Tertiary Care Hospital, International Journal of Current Microbiology and Applied Sciences ISSN: 2319-7706 Volume 8 Number 02 (2019)
- Gracia Paul, I.M. Rejitha and C. Revathy Erg11 expression in azole resistant candida species isolated from diabetic patients in a tertiary care centre International Journal of Current Microbiology and Applied Sciences ISSN: 2319-7706 Volume 8 Number 02 (2019),
- Dr.Saishruti G. Sucilathangam2 and C. Revathy1 Pathophysiologic And Prognostic Role Of IFN-Gamma as a Proinflammatory And Regulatory Cytokine In Dengue Fever International Journal Of Scientific Research Volume-8 | Issue-3 | March-2019 | PRINT ISSN No 2277 – 8179
- V.P. Amudha1 , G. Sucilathangam2*, N. Dilip Jaivanth3 and C.Revathy Assessment of Risk Factors in MDR TB Patients. The Reasons behind Their Admission to DOTS plus Centres. Will They Pass Through? International Journal of Current Microbiology and Applied Sciences ISSN: 2319-7706 Volume 7 Number 10 (2018)
- V.P. Amudha1 , C.Revathy ,G. Sucilathangam CLINICO- LABORATORY PROFILE OF SUSPECTED DENGUE PATIENTS IN A TERTIARY CARE HOSPITAL. INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF SCIENTIFIC RESEARCH Volume-7 | Issue-11 | November-2018 | ISSN No 2277 – 8179 | IF : 4.758 | IC Value : 93.98
- D. Jeyaganguli* , G. Velvizhi, G. Sucilathangam and C. Revathy Diagnostic Value of C – Reactive Protein and Hematological Markers in Neonatal Sepsis International Journal of Current Microbiology and Applied Sciences ISSN: 2319-7706 Volume 7 Number 03 (2018)
- Ambuja Sekar, G. Sucilathangam* and C. Revathy Screening of Auto Antibodies using Indirect Immunofluorescence in Auto Immune Disease Patients International Journal of Current Microbiology and Applied Sciences ISSN: 2319-7706 Volume 7 Number 02 (2018)
- V. Uma Maheshwari* , V.P. Amudha, G. Sucilathangam and C. Revathy Detection of Human Leukocyte Antigen (HLA) B27 among Patients of Seronegative Spondyloarthropathies Referred to a Tertiary Care Center International Journal of Current Microbiology and Applied Sciences ISSN: 2319-7706 Volume 7 Number 03 (2018)
- Revathy3R.P.R. Suyambu Meenakshi* , S. Gowri, G. Sucilathangam and C. RevathyDetection of Carbapenamase Resistance in Non-Fermenter Gram Negative Bacilli by Phenotypic Methods in A Tertiary Care Hospital International Journal of Current Microbiology and Applied Sciences ISSN: 2319-7706 Volume 7 Number 03 (2018)
- S. Punitha Ranjitham* , I.M. Rejitha, G. Sucilathangam and C. Revathy Screening of Extractable Nuclear Antibodies by ELISA in Patients with Connective Tissue Disorders in a Tertiary Care Hospital International Journal of Current Microbiology and Applied Sciences ISSN: 2319-7706 Volume 7 Number 03 (2018)
- Cinthujah .B,Sucila thangam G , Balakumaran A ,Revathy.C A study of bacterial isolates from impetigo and their resistance pattern to Mupirocin. Int J Curr Microbiol App Sci.2019 8(9):570-576.
- Sucilathangam G,Velvizhi G,Poongodi S,Sitharam R. Chasing Zero: The Drive To Eliminate Surgical Site Infections at a Tertiary Care Hospital.PARIPEXIndian Journal of Research, 2016; 5(7): 267-268.
- Sucilathangam G,Velvizhi G,VinojM,Poongodi S.Surveillance of Catheter-Associated Urinary Tract Infection (CAUTI) in Intensive Medical Care Unit at a Tertiary Care Hospital .PARIPEXIndian Journal of Research, 2016; 5(7): 205-207.
- Sainivedeta MVM, Rejitha IM,Sucilathangam G,Revathy C.Vascular Catheter Related Infections in a Tertiary Care Hospital – A Microbiological Study. Int J Curr Microbiol App Sci.2017; 6(1): 592-599.
- Gowri S,Kanagapriya M. Diagnostic Utility of serum C – Reactive Protein in Rhino sinusitis and its Role in Reducing Antibiotic Use. Int J Curr Microbiol App Sci.2017; 6(1): 761-766.
- Subha.K.Selvi.R Balaji AVM Dheepa D Study of incidence of Rotavirus in children under 5 years of age with acute diarrhea with special reference to characterisation of Rota virus. Journal of Medical science and clinical research 2017 5(4):21077-2108
- Subha.K.Selvi.R Balaji AVM Dheepa D Study of microbial flora of female genital tract in intra uterine contraceptive device users .Int J Curr Microbiol App Sci.2017;6(6)363-369
- Velvizhi.G Sucila thangam G Srinivas Ananth K Revathy C Nasal screening for methicillin resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) among health care workers at a tertiary care hospital Indian journal of applied research 2018 8(10):83-84
Awards & Recognitions
LIST OF ICMR STS PROJECTS for UG STUDENTS IN DEPARTMENT OF MICROBIOLOGY
|Study Topic||Year||Student||Guide||Head of the Department|
|1.Bacteremia in hemodialysis patients – Analysis of the rates ,risk factors and the bacteriological profile .||2018||K.Kamali||Dr.V.P.Amudha||Prof Dr.C.Revathy|
|2.Predicting carriage of ESBL producing Enterobacteriaceae in ICU patients- A cross sectional study
|2018||P.V.Kamalesh||Dr.G.Sucila Thangam||Prof Dr.C.Revathy|
|3.A study of bacterial isolates from impetigo and their resistance pattern to Mupirocin
|4.Clinicomycological profile of fungal rhino sinusitis||2017||K. Gautham Varun||Dr.I.M.Rejitha||Prof Dr.C.Revathy|
|5.Antimicrobial susceptibility pattern among urinary isolates in a tertiary care hospital – Changing trends||2016||Janani||Dr.M.Kanaga priya||Prof Dr.C.Revathy|
|6.Bacterial colonization on writing pens touched by Health care professionals with and without cleaning the pen with alcohol based sanitizing agent||2016||D.Jeyashree||Dr.S.Gowri||Prof Dr.C.Revathy|
|7.Bacterial profile and antimicrobial drug resistance in intra abdominal infections in a tertiary care hospital.||2016||Fathimashehnaz.A.||Dr.G.Sucila thangam||Prof.Dr.C.Revathy|
|8.Bacteriological profile & antibiotic susceptibility in cancer patients||2019||Akalya||Dr.R.Nagalakshmi||Prof.Dr.C.Revathy|
ICMR PG THESIS AWARD
Pathophysiologic & prognostic role of interferon gamma as a proinflammatory and regulatory cytokine in Dengue fever .Dr.Saishruthi . 2016 batch
Awards and achievements of faculty
1.Best Doctor award state level-2018
2)Award for excellence in Infection control & Waste management-2015
3)Appreciation award for HIV diagnostic service
4)Selected as Guide for the Ph.D. Programme.
1) Appreciation award for HIV diagnostic service and central lab activities by IMA-2018
2)AN mothers HIV diagnostic services -2018
Certificate of appreciation -2017
Certificate of appreciation Best services in hospital Dr.Muthulakshmi Reddy award-2019