a great moment in the life of every tvmc-ian,…….a dream to cherish!
Tirunelveli Medical College (Tamil: திருநெல்வேலி மருத்துவக்கல்லூரி), fondly referred to by its alumni as TVMC is one among the six premier medical institutions in Tamilnadu, located in the city of Tirunelveli, Tamilnadu, India. The college is affiliated to The Tamilnadu Dr. MGR Medical University and stands recognised by the World Health Organisation.
In the year 1965, the Government of Tamilnadu established the sixth medical institute in the state of Tamilnadu, the Tirunelveli Medical College, with the affiliation of University of Madras, and total of 75 student admissions. The students were admitted for the MBBS course for the academic year 1965-66 and had their first year of study at the St Xavier College and Sarah Tucker College for Women, Palayamkottai. The District Headquarters Hospital established in 1958 by Shri K.Kamaraj was converted into Tirunelveli Medical College Hospital. On 3rd October 1966, the students walked into the eastern wing of the present faculty block in the campus and started attending the classes in the Anatomy, Physiology and Biochemistry. Subsequently, the Western wing was completed and all other para-clinical departments namely Pharmacology, Pathology, Microbiology and Social & Preventive (Community) Medicine became operational. This College was later affiliated to the Madurai University and later the Madurai Kamaraj University consequent to its inception in the year 1967 and continued so till the college was affiliated to the newly formed The Tamil Nadu Dr. MGR Medical University in 1988. The College has been recognised by the Medical Council of India since inception. The number of seats for the MBBS course was increased from 75 to 100 in the year 1980, and in the same year the Government accorded sanction for the starting of 6 Postgraduate courses, namely MD (General Medicine), MS (General Surgery), MD (Pathology), MD (Microbiology), MD (Forensic Medicine) and MD (Pharmacology). The number of seats for the MBBS course was further increased to 150 from the year 2003. The college celebrated its Silver Jubilee in the year 1990 and is preparing to meet its golden jubilee in 2015. The Tirunelveli Medical College is proud of a worldwide alumni referred to by the name Nellai-medicos who have become Dr.BC Roy and Padma Vibushan awardees with many more at the helm in various parts of the world. The college houses 2025 graduate, postgraduate and diploma students in various medical and paramedical training programs.
TVMC has graduate program (MBBS) of 5 1/2 years, 17 PG programs (MD/MS/DM), 1 Nursing Program (DNW), & 11 paramedical programs. The faculty train a total of 2025 students on a day.
- Graduate Medical Program : MBBS 150 seats per year
- Postgraduate Program – MD: MD General Medicine – 9 seats, MD Pediatrics – 3 seats, MD Anesthesiology – 4 seats,
MD Psychiatric Medicine – 1 seat, MD DVL – 1 seat, MD Pharmacology – 2 seats, MD Pathology – 7 seats, MD Microbiology – 5 seats, MD Forensic Medicine – 1 seat, MD Physiology – 2 seats, MD Chest Medicine—2 Seats, MS General Surgery – 10 seats, MS Orthopedics – 3 seats, MS Obstetrics & Gynecology – 3 seats, MS Oto-rhino-laryngology (ENT) – 1 seat, MS Ophthalmology – 1 seat
- Super-specialty Program – DM Neurology – 1 seat
- Nursing Program: Diploma Nursing & Midwifery (140 seats)
- Paramedical Program: Diploma Medical Laboratory Technology DMLT (100 seats), Diploma Radio-Diagnosis Technology (10 Seats), Diploma Radio-Therapy Technology (5 Seats), Cert in ECG & Treadmill Technology (50 seats), Cert in Emergency Care Technology (20 Seats), Cert in Respiratory Care Technology (20 Seats), Cert in Dialysis Technology (20 Seats), Cert in Operation Theatre Technology (35 Seats)Cert in Anesthesia Technology (35 Seats), Cert in Orthopedics Technology (35 Seats), Cert in Radiological Assistant ship (10 Seats), Certificate Nursing Assistant ship (50 seats)
- TVMC is making major strides in the national level as a medical education and research hub. Tirunelveli Medical College has a strong research structure with
- TIRUNELVELI MEDICAL COLLEGE INSTITUTIONAL ETHICS COMMITTEE (TIREC) formed and run as per the norms of the ICMR. The TIREC is already under process of registration with the Drug Controller General of India and CTRI
- MEDICAL E JOURNAL titled Tirunelveli E Journal of Medical Sciences (tejms) with ISSN registration under ISSN, NISCAIR, New Delhi. The journal is under process to be indexed.
- RESEARCH PUBLICATIONS: Tirunelveli Medical College has a robust research program run for its faculty, graduates and post graduates. The institute has a strong Short Term Student Research Program .
- OUT STANDING YOUNG RESEARCHER AWARD for its students involved in the Short Term Student Research Program. The students also receive 5 other prizes as Special Mention Prizes for Research
- RESEARCH METHODOLOGY TRAINING: The Tirunelveli Medical College conducts an annual CME on methodology and procedures for research.
- RESEARCH FACILITIES: We are proud that we are presently granted three prestigious projects under the Department of Health Research of the Government of India, namely – Model Rural Health Research Unit (ICMR)/ DHR GOI) at a cost of Rs 5.5crores to have a state of research unit at Kaloor, Tirunelveli. Under this scheme our faculties have been selected to be part of a ICMR national task force study on pediatric and maternal health. (one of 5 Units in India); Multi Disciplinary Research Unit (ICMR)/ DHR GOI) at a cost of Rs. 5.25 crores to have a state of art research laboratory in the college campus, to accord facility for biomedical research on non communicable diseases for the faculty. (One of 3 such Units in Tamilnadu), Molecular Laboratory (Govt of TN) to have a state of art research laboratory in the college campus, to accord facility for biomedical research on viral diseases for the faculty. (One of 5 such Units in Tamilnadu). VIROLOGY DIAGNOSTIC Laboratory at a cost of Rs. 5.50crores to have a state of art research laboratory in the college campus, to accord facility for biomedical research on communicable diseases for the faculty. The sanctions are awaited. A robust research program for students and faculty is available for the students to understand the planning, implementation and evaluation of research projects. TVMC provides three types of support for the young investigators. Short Term Research Fellowships under the government grants like the ICMR, TNSRC and TNSCT. Short-Term Student Research Projects under the administration of the institute. The college encourages students to undertake at-least three research projects before entering the internship programs. Approximately 60-75 students undertake short term research at this institute every year between June and September. Our goal is to have every deserving medical student receive a basic training of how to write a protocol and proceed to make a research study.
NOW ON THE CALENDAR
March 29th 2015 Students Awards Ceremony & Graduate Reception Day
April 26th 2015 Golden Jubilee Alumni Meet
June 2015 Medical Exhibition
September 2015 Golden Jubilee Week
Vive Gold – The Celebrations!!!
20.9.2014 (Sunday) to 26.9.2014 (Saturday)
20.09.2015: Mithran – A tvmc & community interaction through a Mini Marathon across Tirunelveli City
21.09.2015: Nantri – Thanksgiving for our TVMC&H Staff
22.09.2015: Globe Trotters– International Alumnus & Faculty CME
23.09.2015: Here 4 U Faculty Alumni Meet – To honor all retired past faculty
25.09.2015: Nakshathra Campus Re-dedication- A candle light PRAYER on the campus and putting on celebration lights
26.09.2015: Vive Gold Golden Jubilee Day @ Auditorium
- 4.30pm – 5.30pm – Batch Jam – Fly the Baloon
5.30pm – 8.00pm – Grand TVMC Golden Jubilee Night Banquet with Muscial Treat