1901 - Karl Landsteiner, an Austrian physician, and the most important individual in the field of Blood transfusion, documented the first three human Blood groups (based on substances present on the red Blood cells), A, B and O. 1818 James Blundell, a British obstetrician, performs the first successful transfusion of human blood to a patient for the treatment of postpartum hemorrhage. Using the patient's husband as a donor, he extracts approximately four ounces of blood from the husband's arm and, using a syringe, successfully transfuses the wife.
Message of the Chair
Its is a special feel to introduce the TMD at the TVMCH. We upgraded to a full department in 1992, from a blood bank. Presently we are the regional centre for transfusion medicine for the southern districts, the regional training centre for blood banking and the component centre for entire Tirunelveli district. Welcome.
|DR. N. JAYBALAN||1993||1994|
|DR. N. JEYABALAN||1999||2002|
Transfusion Medicine is a multidisciplinary area concerned with the proper use or removal of blood and its components in the treatment or prevention of human disease states. In the last thirty years treatment has evolved from whole blood transfusion to the availability of many different blood components and derivatives. In addition, sophisticated technology now makes it possible to selectively remove blood components from donor or patients by a process called apheresis. While the many choices of blood products have complicated the physician’s decision making process, they have also made haemotherapy more specific and effective. It becomes important that trainees are properly trained in this new specialty, so that they are properly equipped to render special consultant service. The Department trains undertakes training of Pathology Residents in Transfusion Medicine. The short term course involves training and teaching that leads to an awareness of:
- Transfusion Medicine, as a discipline
- Historical, teaching, research and clinical responsibilities in Transfusion Medicine
- The basic principles and concepts in the Transfusion Medicine
- Problems in clinical medicine that are related to transfusion
- Application of concepts and principles in clinical situations.
- Motivational therapeutic solutions to transfusion medicine.
- Transfusion services in the Village, Taluk and District Hospitals. Research in the transfusion medicine
- Blood grouping and typing
- Blood cross matching
- Coombs test (updated method using gel technology now routinely done for all blood cross matches)
- Coombs cross match
- Tests for uncommon blood cell antigens and antibodies
- Antibody titre
- Screening tests for
- Hepatitis B and hepatitis C
- Venereal diseases
The above mentioned screening tests are mandatory and have been prescribed under the guidance of the Drug Authority of India which is also the licensing authority.
SPECIAL SERVICES OFFERED : BLOOD COMPONENTS
- Red Blood Cells
- Fresh Frozen Plasma
- Frozen Plasma
- Platelet concentrates
- Platelet rich plasma