Dr. Raman Viswanathan – the Father of Chest Medicine in India - was born on 8.9.1899.
Dr.K.Krishnamoorthy MD DTCD
Professor & Head of the Department
The Department of Pulmonary Medicine, started in 1970 as the Tuberculosis OP. Later in the late 70s and early 80’s it was upgraded as a department of Tuberculosis and Chest Diseases. Presently this is apostgraduate department of Pulmonary Medicine with 150 graduate students and 2 MD postgraduate resident a year. The department also receives postgraduate students in General Medicine and paramedical student trainees in respiratory technology.
Services & Academics
OPD Services: The Department runs a daily OPD from 7.00am to 12.00noon with services available for all tuberculous and non tuberculous chest diseases. The OPD is manned by Professors and Assistant Professors of the department.
Indoor Services: The Department has a 30bedded ward with 24hour emergency medical and nursing services. The Department offer a wide variety of diagnostic and therapeutic services.
1. Spirometry: This test is used to distinguish Obstructive and Restrictive lung diseases and for preoperative assessment of pulmonary function in patients undergoing abdominal or thoracic surgeries.
2. Bronchoscopy: The department has bronchoscopes to inspect the bronchial tree, detect intra luminal pathologies like mass, foreign body etc and to take Biopsy from intra luminal mass, bronchial brushing, bronchial wash and broncho alveolar lavage.
2. Radiology: The department has a ancillary basic radiology service attached and uses the services of the main radiology wing for diagnosis. The radiology services include plain Xrays, Contrast Studies, Ultrasonograph, Dopplers, CT scan, and MRI Studies.
3. Laboratory Studies: The department has basic and special studies with Clinical Pathology, Hematology, Cytology, Histopathology, Microbiology and Serology services. Sputum for AFB is done as a routine.
4. Physiotherapy: Postural drainage, vibration and percussion are used in patients with cystic fibrosis, Lung abscess, Bronchiectasis and COPD.
5. Special Clinics for Asthma: – To diagnose, monitor, treatment and follow up of bronchial asthma patients, COPD clinic – In this clinic we diagnose, monitor, treatment follow up and rehabilitation of COPD Patients. Patients are also given with health education. Lung cancer clinic – Confirmation, work up and treatment of lung cancer. DOTS therapy – Issue treatment, follow up and treatment of Tuberculosis. Occupational Lung Diseases Clinic – Diagnosis , treatment and followup of occupational lung disease patients. RNTCP (Revised National Tuberculosis control Programme) – To issue treatment , follow up and treatment of Drug Resistant Tuberculosis. Emergency services
The graduate student is trained and exposed to the nuances and basic principles of interviewing, examination and diagnosis of common respiratory illnesses. They are introduced to
- Physiology and diagnostic methods : Sputum examination, X-ray
- Chest, pulmonary function tests and bronchoscopy.
- Upper respiratory infections.
- Bronchiectasis and lung abscess.
- Bronchial asthma and tropical eosinophilia.
- Chronic obstructive airway disease and cor pulmonale.
- Acute and chronic respiratory failure.
- Diseases of pleura : pleural effusion, empyema, pneumothorax.
- Pulmonary tuberculosis.
- Neoplasms of lung.
- Common occupational lung diseases.
At the end of the program the student has sufficient knowledge in basic principles of interviewing, examination and diagnosis of common respiratory illnesses, performing procedures like pleural tapping and AFB staining etc.
POST GRADUATE PROGRAM – MD CHEST MEDICINE
1) To develop competent pulmonary specialist and medical teaching who can appreciate health needs of the community, perform professional obligations observing ethics and keeping in view the objectives of national health policy at various levels of health care delivery system as well as be aware of contemporary and recent developments in the pulmonary medicine and updating with latest advances.
1. No. of units‐(One Unit) with a bed strength of 30 teaching beds in an indoor unit. The department has the following facilities – facilities for pleural tapping and biopsy, FNAC, Pulse oximeter, multifunction bed, trolleys, X‐ray and scan plate mountable viewing box, four to five nebulizers, Polysomnography machine with adequate channels, SpO2 measurement facilities, monitoring treatment modality with unilevel / bilevel positive airway pressure equipment, XDR and MDR treatment facility with separate rooms with proper ventilation
2. Pulmonary Function Laboratory having facilities to perform spirometry, Airways resistance and conductance, diffusion study, Bronchial challenge test, allergy‐testing with emergency management arrangement, six minutes walk test facilities and body plethysmography.
3. Bronchoscopy room having flexible fibroptic bronchoscope, with standard accessories, leakage tester, monitor, CCTV camera, recording facilities, nebulizer scope sterilization tray, central cupboard to hang the scope with punch biopsy, brush biopsy, channel cleaning forceps, suction and oxygen ports or portable machine and cylinder.
4. Respiratory high dependency ward: to take care of seriously / critically ill patients. Preferably at least four bedded ward having facilities of centralized oxygen and suctioning Non‐invasive / invasive ventilators ABG and different types of masks and oxygen canulae. If departmental critical centre is not available hospitals central intensive care unit must be available with easy access to the patient from the department.
5. Sleep Laboratory
6. Other Facilities :
Central Lab facilities – for training Postgraduate students are available with computerized automatic analytic type equipments. Direct microscopy, Fluorescent microscopy, Culture & Susceptibility for organism inclusive of AFB are available The facilities also include a Central Biomedical waste management.
Radiology : Conventional, Ultrasound, Multislice CT, MRI, 2D Echo, Colored Venous and arterial Doppler, CT guided Biopsy are available.
Central Medical Record Section is available and is computerized
Library : Department as well as Central medical library is in possession of standard text books, index journals, yearbooks, recent advances and periodicals