French medic Philippe Pinel introduced humane treatment approaches to those suffering from mental disorders. In 1793, in Parice psychiatric hospital “Bisetr”, Pinel released mental patients of chains beginning what has been called the bright epoch of psychiatry.
Graduate Academic Program
The graduate students attend training in our department during the 5th to 9th semesters and are taught the basics of psychiatry. Our graduates have strong knowledge of
- Classification of the different types of psychoses;
- Differenciation between psychoses and neuroses;
- Difference between functional and organic psychoses.
- Clinical features, diagnosis and management of : Schizophrenia; Bipolar mood disorder and depression; Anxiety disorders and hysteria; Dementia; Alcoholism; Substance abuse.
- Clinical recognition and initial therapy of psychiatric emergencies.
- Eliciting a detailed psychiatric history and conducting a mental status examination; defining, eliciting and interpreting psychopathological symptoms and signs.
- Concepts underlying normal and abnormal human behaviour; principles of learning, memory, personality and intelligence; psychopathology ( behavioural sciences ).
- Psychogeriatrics. Historical aspects of the diagnosis and treatment of mental illness;
- concept of mental health vs mental illness;
- classificatory system currently in use in psychiatry.
- Clinical features, diagnosis and management of psychiatric disorders of childhood and adolescence.
- Personality disorders.
Post - Graduate Academic Program
The post graduate students are trained in
- General Psychiatry including History of Psychiatry
- Classification and Adult Psychiatry.
- Theories of Personality and Psychopathology.
- Social Psychiatry
- Child and adolescent psychiatry including mental subnormality.
- Organic mental syndromes and disorders.
- Administrative and Forensic Psychiatry.
- Biological Psychiatry
- Psycho somatic physiological Disorders.
- Therapies in Psychiatry = Drugs & ECT
- Consultation - Liasion Psychiatry.
- Community Psychiatry.
- Geriatric Psychiatry.
- Ethics in Psychiatry.
- Research methods and new frontiers in Psychiatry.
- Systematic Psychiatry.
- Fundamentals of Clinical Neurology.
- Diagnostic Techniques.
- Electro Physiological Techniques and research.
- Psychosurgery, Streoencephalotomy.
- Neuro Psychiatry.
Hospital and Research
The department offers diagnostic, treatment and support for various psychiatric diseases including Dementia, Schizophrenia, Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, Mood Disorders, Suicide Prevention. Drugs Alcohol and Substance Abuse, Adolescent Psychology, Child Psychology, Disorders of Sexuality, Behavior, and Psychosomatic Illness.
The institution offers Out patient and inpatient psychiatric services. Out patient services are available between 8am and 12noon everyday. 24hour emergency support services are available. Indoor services provide voluntary admissions and patient admitted through reception orders are admitted every day. The hospital is a part of National Mental Health Program of the Tamil Nadu State and this is the only mental care unit in the district catering the needs for 30lakhs population. The department also has rehabilitation services– industrial therapy, occupational therapy, and recreational therapy.
The Department runs special clinics:
- Geriatrics Psychiatry Clinic
- Child Guidance Clinic
- De-addiction Clinic
- Epilepsy Clinic
- Adolescence Clinic
- A Study of Expressed Emotions in Obsessive Compulsive Disorders
- A Study of Clinical Patterns in Childhood Psychosis
- A Study of Psychological Patterns and Disorders in Prisoners admitted to the Prison Ward at Tirunelveli Medical College Hospital.
- A Study of incidence of Dissociative Disorders in Children and Adolescents
- A Study of Life Events at the onset of Schizophrenia
- A Study of the prevalence of Post Traumatic Stress Disorders among patients with HIV/AIDS (PLWHA)
- Study of Co-morbid alcohol dependent depressives in comparison to pure alcohol dependants and pure depressives
- A study of patterns of Drug dependence a decade apart
- A Study of the need of special emplyment exchanges for persons with psychiatric mental disabilities
- A Study of the prevalance pf Behavioural problems in school going children
- A study of the impact of community based rehabilitation
- A Study of the clinical patterns of cognitive impairment in HIV positive patients
- A Study of the prevalence and clinical correlates of Nicotine dependence in Schizophrenia
- A Study of the prevalence of psychiatric co-morbidities in adolescent suicidal attempts.