FACULTY OF CLINICAL PHYSIOLOGY
The Greek physician and anatomist Erasistratus (304-250 b.c.e.) is considered the father of physiology. While Anatomist William Harvey, who described the circulatory system in the 17th century is described as the father of Experimental Physiology. Herman Boerhaave is sometimes referred to as a father of physiology for his exemplary teaching in Leiden and textbook “Institutiones medicae” (1708)
Message of the Chair
Professor & Head
Through the last 49 years department of Physiology has witnessed a rapid development. We have started the MD postgraduate course in Physiology since the year 2008. The department has all modern equipments and has newer thought and interaction in therms of academics and research. Our faculty are untiring in their efforts at training the undergraduate and post graduate students. The future is looking up.
We have a robust graduate program, for 150 admissions every year, affiliated to the TN Dr MGR Medical University, Chennai. The programs aims at interacting with the student and helping them to attaining considerable knowledge in human physiology especially the ability to explain the normal functioning of all the organ systems and their interactions for well coordinated total body function; Assess the relative contribution of each organ system to the maintenance of the milieu interior; Elucidate the physiological aspects of normal growth and development; Describe the physiological response and adaptation to environmental stresses; enlist the physiological principles underlying pathogenesis and treatment of disease; conduct experiments designed for the study of physiological phenomena; interpret experimental/investigative data; Distinguish between normal and abnormal data derived as a result of tests which he/she has performed and observed in the laboratory and at the end of the integrated teaching & training program the student shall acquire an consummate knowledge of structure, function and regulation of cells, tissues with specific reference to Gene action, General principles of cell physiology, Physiology of skeletal muscle, Blood & Blood Vessels, Digestive System, Pancreatic & Intestinal function, Reproduction, Respiration, Circulation, Environmental physiology, Special senses, Physiology of vision, nerve supply, Heart, Arteries and veins & Central nervous system
Post Graduate Program:
The department admits 2 Students every year into a 3 year course in Physiology ie: MD in Physiology. The process of admission is the PGEE of the Government of Tamilnadu and the All India Post Graduate Entrance Examination by the Director General of Health Services, New Delhi. Eligibility: M.B.B.S. Degree from any Indian university recognized by the Medical Council of India & and obtained permanent registration from any of the State Medical Councils. The course is affiliated to the Tamil Nadu DR. M.G.R Medical University, Chennai whose curriculum is followed. The frame work of the postgraduate program includes
- Discussions, Symposia & Seminar
- Didactic Lecture Sessions
- Invited Guest Lectures
- Journal Discussions
- Practical Training & Research in Clinical, Hematology, Mammalian & Comparative Physiology, Experimental and Electro Physiology
- Dissertation & Short Term Research Activities funded by State Research council, TN Dr. MGR Medical University.
- Clinical Physiology Studies in the hospital neuro & cardia electrophysiology labs.
Clinical & Research Programs
Clinical Physiology Programs:
- Polysomnography Lab
- Nerve Conduction Lab with Visual & Auditory Evoked potentials
- Pure Tone Audiometry
- Autonomic Function Studies
- Heart Rate Variability Studies
- Study of Autonomic Function in Migraine
- Auditory and Visual Evoked Potential in Migraine
- Respiratory Function Tests in Cement Factory Workers.
- Evaluation of Nerve Conduction in Trauma.
- Audiometric evaluation in Children with Learning Disabilities.
Current Research Projects
- Investigating the effect of VEP in detecting preclinical diabetic retinopathy – Dr.V.Logeshwari
- Detecting the influence of obesity on nerve conduction parameters of median and ulnar nerve – Dr.A.Suba
- A comparative study of heart rate variability, serum lipid profile and proinflammatory markers between pre hypertensives and normotensives- Dr.A.Suba
- A cross sectional study on spotlight effect –its rise and upshot on youth’s mind- Dr.M.Mothys Vikram
- Prevalence of metabolic syndrome among young adults in South India – Dr.B.Kavin
- Analysis of serum magnesium , other risk fators associated with diabetic retinopathy – Dr. Seeniammal
21-6-2019: Undergraduate CME on Acute Coronary Syndrome