Rudolf Ludwig Karl Virchow (1821 – 1902) was a German doctor, anthropologist, pathologist, prehistorian, biologist and politician, known for his advancement of public health. Referred to as "the father of modern pathology," he is considered one of the founders of social medicine. he was associated with Benno Reinhardt in founding the Archiv für pathologische Anatomie und Physiologie und für klinische Medizin, world-famous as “Virchow's Archives.” He is cited as the first to recognize leukemia cells. More than 14 issues in medicine, surgery and pathology are named after Virchow. He founded the fields of cellular pathology and comparative pathology.
Message of the Chair
Message from the Chair: The Department of Pathology, established in 1967 under doyens like Dr.K.Radhakrishnan & Dr.Venugopal Shetty, serves a portal for pathology diagnosis, research and teaching in this southern city and the rural district around. This department has adapted to the medical needs of the patients in Tirunelveli Medical College & its affiliate hospitals. We are committed to accurate timely consultations and diagnoses in Anatomic & Surgical Pathology, Cytopathology, Laboratory Hematology, Clinical Pathology and Immunopathology. The Department has a postgraduate residency program, since 1982, with 7 residents a year. All of our residents have successfully passed their boards, a unique achievement, reflective of our commitment to education. In the same spirit, many of our graduate students have chosen pathology as their specialization later.
Contact us: email@example.com
HEAD OF THE DEPARTMENT – ROLL OF HONOUR
|1||Dr.S.Radhakrishnan MD DCP||1968||1969|
|2||Dr. Venugopal Shetty MD DCP||1969||1971|
|3||Dr. S.Arumugam MD DCP||1971||1972|
|4||Dr. C.Natarajan MD DCP||1972||1973|
|5||Dr. P. Seetha MD DCP||1973||1974|
|6||Dr. P.Natarajan MD DCP||1974||1976|
|7||Dr, V.Rajasekaran MD DCP||1976||1979|
|8||Dr. D.V.Gomathy MD DCP||1979||1989|
|9||Dr. A.Kalaivani MD||1989||2002|
|10||Dr. V.Paramasivan MD (Path) MD (FM)||2003||2008|
|11||Dr. Sithy Athia Munavarah MD||2008||2014|
Professor & Head of the Department:
Dr. Shantaraman Kalyanaraman MD
Dr. Swaminathan Kalyanasundaram MD
Dr. Suresh Durai Jeyasingh MD
Dr. Arasi Rajesh Chandran MD
Dr. Johnsy Merla Joel MD
Dr. Hidhaya Fathima Kaleemullah MD
Dr. Sinduja Govindarajan MD
Dr. Mahalakshmi MD
ANATOMIC & SURGICAL PATHOLOGY:
The Department of Pathology has a dedicated histopathology lab service for all material received from the theatres and wards of TVMCH and other affiliate hospitals. The laboratory has automated processing systems and undergoes quality assurance reviews between the pathologists. This unit of our department is the standalone supplier of rare specimens of tissue material for pathology museums in government run medical schools in the southern region of State of Tamilnadu.
The Department has a fully deployed Clinical Pathology unit in the TVMCH for patients being seen at the affiliate hospitals. All areas of Clinical study including the study blood, urine and body fluids are available. The lab routinely undergoes quality assurance reviews between the pathologists and with EQAS programs. The laboratory has automated Cell Counters, Automated Urine Analysis System and ESR analyser. This lab works 24x7 with a team of dedicated technicians.
The Department of Pathology has a dedicated Hematopathology service easily accessible for patients being seen at the TVMCH and other affiliate hospitals. All areas of Hematopathology are available for consultation including: study of peripheral blood, bone marrow, lymph nodes, or extra-nodal tissues. The lab routinely undergoes quality assurance reviews between the pathologists and with EQAS programs. The laboratory has automated Cell Counters, ESR analyzers and Coagulation Systems.
The Department has a dedicated cytopathology service including a PAP smear program for the Obstetrics & Gynaecology OPD and Wards, FNAC OP & Fluid Cytology services for patients being seen at the TVMCH and other affiliate hospitals. All areas of cytopathology are available for consultation including: study of surface nodules, CT Scan and Ultrasonogram Guided studies. The lab routinely undergoes quality assurance reviews between the pathologists.
The Department runs immunopathology service that includes a wide panel of immunocytochemical and immunohistochemical stains. The lab routinely undergoes quality assurance reviews between the pathologists.
DEPARTMENT STATISTICS :
|STATISTICS OF THE DIAGNOSTIC PROGRAM|
|Course||Course Duration||No of Admissions / Year|
|MD Pathology||3 Years||7|
|II MBBS Course||1 year & 6 Months||150|
|DMLT Course||2 years||100|
GRADUATE ACADEMIC PROGRAMS
II Professional MBBS:
The department has an innovative, interdisciplinary graduate degree program designed to allow students to pursue advanced training in science, while simultaneously developing professional workplace skills that may include internships. Faculty within the Department of Pathology support graduate research projects sponsored by the I.C.M.R, T.N.S.R.C and T.N.S.E.T. The students train in Pathology during the 3rd to 5th semesters of the MBBS course. The GMP includes internship in Clinical Pathology & Laboratory Medicine for 2weeks.
Graduate Program - Course Coordinator: Dr.S.Vallimanalan
Diploma in Medical Laboratory Technology: The department under affiliation with the King Institute Center, Chennai hosts a Clinical Laboratory Science Program with collaborative effort of Biochemistry, Microbiology and the Central Diagnostic Laboratory. The program offers training in four categorical areas of medical laboratory science: Chemistry, Urinalysis, Microbiology, Hematology, Hemostasis, and Immunology.
Diploma Program - Course Coordinator: Dr.Arasi Rajesh
RESIDENCY TRAINING PROGRAM
The Department of Pathology has 21 residency positions, typically 7 in each of the three years. Residents rotate in three month blocks with Anatomic & Surgical Pathology, Cytopathology, Hematopathology, Clinical Pathology & Transfusion Medicine fully integrated to complete their 36 months of core rotations (16 months of Anatomic & Surgical Pathology and 7 months each of Cytopathology & Clinical Pathology and 1 Month of Transfusion Medicine), electives (3 months) to complete the three years needed for The TN Dr MGR Medical University Board of Pathology. Rotations are personalized as much as possible to allow residents to gain appropriate experience in their areas of special interest. Throughout residency training, we place emphasis on individual instruction, assessment of the resident’s strengths and needs, and graded responsibility. Teaching is aimed at acquiring competency in all aspects of pathology and creating a desire for lifelong learning, but includes the information to pass Board examinations as well.
Residency Program - Course Coordinator: Dr.Suresh Durai.J
|Slide Discussion - Fridays|
|Dermato-Path Meet -Last Saturday|
|Technical Discussion - Alternate Saturday|
|Gross Randing -Wednesday|
|Slide Randing -Saturday|
|Journal Club - Alternate Saturday|
|Resident Session -Thursday|
|Research Review -Monday|
- A Retrospective Analysis of Rare Neoplasms Of Breast
- A Retrospective Analysis of Adnexal Tumors Of Skin
- A Retrospective Analysis of Neoplasms Of Salivary Gland
- A Study of Leprosy Lesions of the Skin
- A Retrospective Analysis of Soft Tissue Tumors
- A 3 year statistical analysis of the Diagnostic Accuracy Of FNAC
- A Study to evaluate AgNOR’s as a prognostic tool In Breast Carcinoma
- A study to evaluate the role Of Imprint Cytology in Lymph Node.
- Evaluation of Endometrial histo-morphology In Infertility (I.C.M.R)
- A Histo-morphological Profile Of Helicobacter Pylori Associated Chronic Antral Gastritis (T.N.S.R.C.)
- Evaluation of FNAC of Thyroid Lesions (I.C.M.R)
- A Study to evaluate the histo-morphology Of Placenta In High Risk Pregnancies (T.N.S.R.C.)
- Evaluation of the Bethesda System as a Reporting system for Cervical Cytology (I.C.M.R)
- A Study to evaluate the histo-morphology Of Placenta In Pregnancy Induced Hypertension And Its Effects On Foetal Outcome (T.N.S.T.C)
- A Study to evaluate the Role Of AgNOR’s In differentiation of Pre-Neoplastic Lesions Of Prostate (T.N.S.R.C.)
- Evaluation of Endometrial histo-morphology & Functional Disturbances Of Endometrium In Cases Of D.U.B (I.C.M.R)
- Evaluation of the Role Of Guided FNAC In Diagnosis Of Deep Seated Mass Lesions (I.C.M.R)
- Evaluation Of Marrow Iron Stores And Iron Chemistry In Iron Deficiency Anaemia
- Histo-morphological Evaluation Of Coronary Atherosclerosis - An Autopsy Study
- A Study Of Prognostic Factors In Carcinoma Breast and its correlation with AgNOR scoring
- Evaluation of Wet Mount Preparation with Toludine Blue In Cytological Preparation as a Rapid Staining Method.
- Evaluation of the histo-morphology Of Esophagus and Stomach in GERD and its association with Helicobacter Pylori Gastritis.
- Evaluation of NESTROFT as a Screening Tool For Thalassemia Patients
- Evaluation of the Incidence of Bone Marrow Micro-metastasis in Breast Carcinoma
- Gastric Antral Histo-morphology in Cases of Hpylori Associated Gastritis & Detection of Hpylori using Light Green Stain.
- Evaluation of Histo-morphological Patterns of Salivary Gland Lesions – A Retrospective Five Year Study.
- Evaluation of Bone-Marrow Profile in geratric patients Presenting With Anaemia
- Histo-morphological Profile of Endometrium in Perimenopausal Bleeding
- Retrospective Analysis of Ovarian Tumor and Tumor Like Conditions – A 3 Year Study
- Incidence of Cancer in a 5 Year Hospital Based Cancer Registry Observations
- Evaluation of Liquid Based Cytology in Comparison to Conventional Pap Staining Method in Evaluating Cervical Smear
- Evaluation of Value of Robinson’s Scoring System and AgNOR Score in Classification of Proliferative Epithelial Breast Diseases in FNAC
- Evaluation of Immuno-histochemical Profile of Papillary Carcinoma of Thyroid
- Evaluation of Immuno-histochemical Profile of Human Papilloma Virus on Cervical Histopathology.
- Evaluation of Histomorphological & Immuno-histochemical profile of Salivary Gland Tumors
- Evaluation of Incidence of Bone Marrow Micrometastasis in Cases of Gastro Intestinal Malignancies
- Evaluation of the Morphological Changes in Bone Marrow in patients on chemotherapy for Cancers
- A Six Year Cancer Surveillance Under ICD-O Nomenclature and Prediction of future burden In Tirunelveli District – A Pilot Study
- Evaluation, Grading and Immunohistochemical Analysis of Atherosclerosis of Aorta.