THE TAMILNADU CHIEF MINISTERS COMPREHENSIVE MEDICAL INSURANCE SCHEME (CMCHIS)
This is a lofty Insurance Scheme launched by the Tamil Nadu State Government through the United India Insurance Company Ltd (a Public Sector Insurer headquartered at Chennai) to provide free medical and surgical treatment in Government and Private hospitals to the members of any family whose annual family income is less than Rs.72,000/- (as certified by the Village Administrative Officers) .The Scheme provides coverage for meeting all expenses relating to hospitalization of beneficiary as defined in the Scope of the Scheme.
The scheme seeks to provide cashless hospitalisation facility for certain specified ailments/ procedures. The scheme provides a coverage up to Rs.2,00,000/- per family per year on a floater basis for the ailments and procedures covered under the Annexure “C”. For certain specified ailments and procedures of critical nature, which are listed under Annexure “D” in the Scheme, the overall limit is increased from Rs.1,00,000/- to Rs.1,50,000/-
There are 2 other covers other than the hospitalisation benefits under Annexure “C” & “D” available under the Scheme. They are a) Follow-up Treatment as listed under Annexure “E”& b) Additional Diagnostic procedures listed under Annexure “F”
AVAILING THE BENEFITS
Free health camps / screening camps will be conducted by network hospitals as per the directions given by Project Director of Tamil Nadu Health Systems Society. Minimum of one camp per month per empanelled hospital will be held in the districts in each policy year. The persons who need treatment are identified in the Health camps. Such patients can approach the hospital in the network and follow the guidelines below:
- A new Health Insurance identity card with biometrics is being issued to all those members who have been holding the smart cards in the earlier scheme. Till such time new cards are issued the public can use the earlier smart (Health) cards
- This card should be shown at the Assistance Counter established at the empanelled hospital.
- After due verification of the details and authenticating the identity of the patient by the Liaison Officer, the necessary Pre-authorisation request for cashless facility will be submitted by the DMO of the hospital.
- The Project Office will approve the request on authentication of the identity and provided the procedure planned is within the Scheme
Even those patients who have the smart cards, though not identified through the Health Camps can also avail the benefit as above
A 24 hour Call Centre has been set up at CMCHISTN Project Office with sufficient manpower with toll free help line. The Toll Free Number is 1800 425 3993. The Toll Free Line is competent to answer the query in Tamil.
Medical expenses are high these days, especially emergency medical help and specialty treatment. Even a small treatment or an appointment with a doctor might consume a lot of money. Health insurance is a must. It saves money and covers unexpected calamities. Health insurance comes in handy to meet emergencies of severe ailment or accident. Sometimes it is associated with covering disability and custodial needs. Life is unpredictable, insurance can make it safe and secure from bearing huge loss. Health insurance is affordable and carries the assurance and freedom from insecurities that threaten life now and then.
GOVERNMENT MEDICAL INSURANCE IN INDIA
This Govt. has since formulated a new insurance scheme called “Chief Minister‟s Comprehensive Health Insurance Scheme” which will be launched shortly. In the new scheme, the coverage and sum assured will be Rs.1.00 lakh every year for a total period of four years and the ceiling of one lakh will be raised to Rs.1.5 lakh for certain identified procedures. The number of procedures covered will also be increased. The cost of diagnostic tests and, medicines up to 5 days after the discharge including travel expenses will form part of the insurance package. An effort will be made to involve government hospitals more fully under the new scheme.
NEW HEALTH INSURANCE FOR GOVERNMENT EMPLOYEES
Government of Tamil Nadu 2007
FINANCE (SALARIES) DEPT
Medical Aid- New Health Insurance Scheme for employees of Govt. The Government Employees and their family members are provide financial assistance in the cases of medical expenses towards treatment of major life saving treatments. Under this scheme a sum of Rs.10/- is recovered as subscription every month from the Government employee. The scheme has been further expanded. The ailments eligible for assistance and the accredited hospitals for the treatment of such ailments are listed and approved under this scheme. Assistance to the tune of 75% of the expenses or Rs.1.00 lakh whichever is less is granted to those who apply for assistance with the documents relating to treatment taken for ailments approved under the scheme.
PRIVATE MEDICAL INSURANCE IN INDIA
According to recent report medical insurance is the fastest growing segment with annual growth rate of 25%. The quantum of medical insurance premium has touched Rs.81000million in 2009-2010.
In 2001 with entry of various private Insurance companies now the customers have choice of buying this insurance from 21 Insurance companies. The Companies, which offer Health or Mediclaim Insurance at present are;
1. Apollo DKV Insurance Company Limited.
2. Bajaj Allianz General Insurance Company Limited
4. Cholamandalam MS General Insurance Company Limited
5. Future Generali India Insurance Company Limited
6. HDFC General Insurance Company Ltd.
7. ICICI Lombard General Insurance Limited.
8. IFFCO Tokio General Insurance Company Limited
9. Max Bupa Health Insurance Company Limited
10. National Insurance Company Limited
11. New India Assurance Company Limited
12. Oriental Insurance Company Limited
13. Raheja QBE General Insurance Company Limited 14. Reliance General Insurance Company Limited
16. SBI General Insurance Company Limited (Introducing Shortly)
17. Shriram General Insurance Company Limited
18. Star health and Allied Insurance Company Limited
19. TATA AIG General Insurance Company Limited.
20. United India Insurance Company Limited
21. Universal Sompo General Insurance Company Limited
OUR CORE VALUES
We, at Tirunelveli Medical College persevere & strive in its mission to achieve the goals set for us by our noble teachers and alumni based on the core values
Professionalism & Ethics
Based on the axioms of the Hippocrates Oath and ethical values inculcated through years of professional experience
Dignity and Integrity:
Our guiding principle in all professional decisions, teaching attitudes, campus performances, interpersonal relations and consummate global efforts at growth
Guided by regulations and requisites of the institute and laws of nature and natural justice, in all our performances and relationships in this campus
Thoughtful actions and informed performances, with punctuality, perseverance and importance to accuracy and details
To glorify the tradition of kindness, care, empathy & value for human life
- Autonomy (the patients right to refuse or choose their treatment—Voluntas aegroti suprema lex),
- Beneficence (practitioner to act in the best interest of the patient-Salus aegroti suprema lex),
- Non- malfeasance ("first, do no harm" -primum non nocere),
- Justice (distribution of scarce health resources, and the decision of who gets what treatment - fairness and equality),
- Dignity (the patient and the person treating the patient have the right to be treated with dignity) and
- Truthfulness and honesty(of informed consent).