The allotment of rooms will be made by the Chief Warden based on the application submitted by the candidate. Admission and continued stay in the hostel depend upon the academic performance, good behaviour and conduct of the student. The hostellers with chronic medical problems will be asked to vacate the room immediately as personal medical care by parent / guardian will be necessary. If a student is expelled from the University for any reason he/she should immediately vacate the hostel on the day of expulsion from the University. His / her continuance in the hostel will be treated as un-authorized occupation. The hostellers themselves are personally responsible to safeguard their belongings. They are not to keep large amounts of cash or valuables like gold, costly wristwatch etc., in their rooms. They should also take care of their belongings. In case of theft or loss of any items it should be reported to authorities. The hostellers are advised to keep their rooms, boxes, suitcases, cupboards, etc., securely locked with good quality locks. Continuation of stay of a student in the hostel is subject to the discretion of the administration.
Guests are not permitted to stay in any of the hostels. Parents/ Guardian visiting the student should remain in the visiting room of the hostel. Entry into the hostel blocks is not permitted.
All the students of the hostel should take their food in the allotted mess only. The meal timings will be displayed at the entrance of the dining hall. These timings are to be strictly adhered to. It is not obligatory on the part of the kitchen/dining hall staff to serve the meals outside the prescribed timings. Dining hall furniture like chairs, tables, etc., and utensils like stainless steel tumblers, plates, spoons etc., are not to be taken out of the dining hall. If anyone is found taking these dining hall properties out, he/she will be suitably penalized. The hostel kitchen is strictly “Out of Bounds” for the students/parents/guardians. Sick person will be served mess food in the room, only if the student registers their name with the Warden. The hostellers shall not waste food, electricity & water. Wastage of food is a national loss. If anyone is found indulging in such wastage, he/she will be asked to vacate the hostel, since wastage causes unnecessary and unavoidable expenditure to others.
Damages & Recovery: Rough handling of dining hall furniture, room furniture or any furniture / property or fittings of the hostel is strictly forbidden.
The cost of damages will be recovered in the following manner: If any individual or group is identified to have caused the damage, double the cost will be recovered from him/her/group. If damage is done in anyone of the rooms and the person(s) is / are not identified then double the cost will be recovered from the room-mates collectively. If a damage is done outside the rooms i.e., in common places like corridors, bathrooms, recreation halls, mess etc., and the person(s) is/ are not identified, then double the cost will be recovered, floor wise or block wise or on the whole, as the case may be. Repetition of damage to the hostel property will result in expulsion from the hostel.
Sickness: 24 hours Medical facility is available in the campus hospital. Any hosteller, who is not well, should report to the Warden for appropriate advice. If the sick person requires medical care at the hospital at any time, inform the Warden for arranging the treatment. If any sick hosteller requires special diet, the individual should inform the mess supervisor through the warden concerned for making suitable provisions.
Newspapers and magazines are provided in each hostel. Hostellers are requested to make best use of them. There is a provision to subscribe to the newspapers/ magazines to be delivered in the rooms. Hostel Supervisor / Warden may be contacted for further details.
Common TV viewing room are provided and they are open upto 10.00 pm. (12:00 pm on Saturday). The above TV timings would be very strictly observed without exception what so ever. A washerman collect’s the clothes for washing in the hostel itself. The
- Caution Deposit: A sum fixed by the management will have to be paid towards Caution Deposit, which will be refunded, when the student vacates the hostel after deducting the dues, if any.
- Establishment Charges: The Establishment charges will have to be paid for each semester or each year as decided by the administration, or each year as decided by the administration. The amount once collected is not refundable on any account. The Hostel accounting month for the mess charges will be from 21st of a month to 20th of the following month.
- Mess Bills: The hostel charges for each month will be displayed in the hostel notice board by the 2nd of the following month. Hostel charges can be paid by Bank Drafts.
Ragging in any form (making unpleasant noise, disorderly conduct, doing any act which causes or likely to cause physical or psychological harm or raise apprehension or fear of shame or an embarrassment to the new student, which include teasing, abusing, playing practical jokes on or causing hurt to such students or asking the new student to do any act or to perform such things which such student will not in the ordinary course willingly do) is strictly forbidden. If anyone is found guilty of ragging he/ she will be expelled and also liable for prosecution under the Tamil Nadu Prohibition of Ragging Act, 1997
CAMPUS GRADUATE HOSTELS (GENTLEMEN) REGULATIONS 2006
The Tirunelveli Medical College which is vested with the authority of managing the Gentlemen Hostels has authorised the Chief Warden to manage the affairs of the hostels. The Chief Warden is assisted by a team of Wardens and Office Staff and most of them shall be normally resident of the hostels. Maintenance of hostels and mess facilities is managed by the hostel office with the help of supervisory staff. The mission of the hostel administration is to silently contribute to the healthy environment of commitment and discipline among the students and encouraged to develop community life and inculcate the spirit of tolerance, thus taking care of their psychological and emotional problems and shape themselves to be better citizens. It is in this spirit and sense of direction that rules and regulations are framed carefully for orderly and peaceful living, and to make the students Good Samaritans and leaders of tomorrow. Life in hostels always provides many wits and fond memories and as such all efforts are made to make the living in hostels most memorable
- All movements from and to the hostels should be recorded in the movement register kept with the security guard at the entrance of the hostel and should be properly signed.
- No hosteller is permitted to stay out of the hostel beyond 10:00 pm in the case of weekdays. On Saturdays the students of Men’s hostel are permitted to stay out up to 11:30 pm. The security guard has instructions to lock the gate after the stipulated timings as mentioned above.
- The hostellers are generally discouraged from going out of the hostels during weekends and holidays. However, in extraordinary circumstances, if they want to leave the hostel, written permission has to be obtained from the Warden/ block supervisors. Whenever they leave the hostel for vacations they have to inform the Warden in writing about their travel plan. In addition they have to make an entry of their “check out” and “check in” in the movement register kept with the security guard of the block. Parents should not encourage students to go to picnics/tours on their own.
- Regarding week end outings (Outing timings-4 hours). Students should take permission from wardens by submitting a letter giving the details of their outings. The outings can be entered in a register with the warden and the student should sign in the register after they return. Parents will be informed in case of frequent outings.
- Attendance: The attendance timing is 7.30 to 9.00 pm. All hostellers have to be present in their respective rooms and keep open the rooms between 9:30 pm &10:30 pm every day (except Saturday ) to enable the Wardens / Block Supervisors to take the attendance. The attendance defaulters would be fined as follows:
- Warning for the first time
- Rs 200 for the second time
- The Third time the administration will decide on the punishment
- Strict silence should be observed between 10.00 pm & 6:00 am. The hostellers will be permitted to change their rooms only after Chief Warden’s approval. The hostel rooms are subject to inspection by the University / Hostel authorities to make sure that they are kept neat and tidy and no unauthorized items like liquor, drugs, lethal weapons etc., are kept in the room. Possession of any lethal weapons or any instrument / contrivance, which is likely to cause physical harm to others, is strictly prohibited.
- Perfect silence is to be maintained in the hostel premises including rooms, bathrooms, dining halls, corridors, common areas etc., Every student of the hostel should have the civic responsibility that he or she should not be a cause inconvenience, annoyance or disturbance to others.
- The hostellers should not enter into any unnecessary conversation, quarrel or altercation with the hostel staff. If anyone has any complaint against any employee of the hostel, a written complaint against the person is to be lodged with the Warden. Use of abusive, vulgar and unparliamentarily language against the hostel/mess staff is strictly forbidden. Any complaint received from staff/faculty towards students will be taken action seriously.
- If any hosteller is found indulging in any form of instigation / intimidation / threat to any other hostellers he / she will be asked to vacate the hostel forthwith. In this regard, the decision of the Chief Warden is final and binding on the individual’s concerned.
- Smoking is prohibited in the hostel buildings. Gambling in any form such as playing cards (even without money at stake), consumption of alcohol, use of drugs and narcotics and even possession of such things are prohibited. Anyone found indulging in the use of such things will not only be asked to vacate the hostel but also be suspended from the college.
- Day scholars are not allowed in the hostel. Hostellers should not encourage entry of day scholars. Celebrating birthday parties inside the hostel rooms is strictly prohibited. They can celebrate in the specified space mentioned in the hostel before 9pm after getting a written concern from their respective Wardens.
- Collection of donation for any purpose (Religious/ otherwise) is also strictly prohibited.
- Students are not allowed to play skating rollers, cricket, tennis, shuttle and other outdoor games inside the hostel building to prevent breakages and accidents. Sliding along the hand rails/rest of stairs and fast running/ climbing down should be totally avoided to prevent accidents.
- When leaving the rooms for attending classes or for vacation, etc., fans, electrical gadgets, lights etc., should be switched off. Glass windows are to be closed securely.
- Students absenting themselves from regular classes will have to take the permission of the Warden and communicate the information to the Chief Warden.
- Hostellers coming to the Hostel after the gate closing hours without prior permission or without valid reason would be fined. Regular late comers will not be allowed to stay in the hostel.
- Water should be carefully used and not wasted.
- Wrong entry, improper / lack of entry in exit register, signing on behalf of another person, tampering with the entries, proxy attendance and misguidance of any nature are punishable.
- In case of any quarrel between or among roommates it should be reported to the Warden for appropriate action. Absentees / Latecomers (without prior permission from the Warden) will be suitably punished.
- Students coming late / or absent regularly will be expelled from the Hostel. Such students shall not be readmitted under any circumstances.
- At the time of starting of the course, no student should lock any room other than the officially allotted room. If the allotted room is a shared accommodation the student should inform the other student in the room or Warden whenever they are going out of the hostel. Students leaving the hostel after the exams or discontinuing their stay should never lock their rooms and cupboards.
- The hostellers are not allowed to keep any kind of two wheelers or four wheelers in the hostel premises
- The hostellers are not allowed to keep any electric power driven utilities like air coolers, electric kettles, electric stoves, hot plates, microwave ovens, electricity intense musical instruments, high decibel home theatres, music systems, televisions, electric irons or any electrical equipment without written permission of the Chief Warden. Unauthorised possession will lead to confiscation of the goods.
- Use of cell phones: Ordinary cell phone could be used by the student but not inside the class rooms, examination halls, Laboratory, Library, offices and during silence hour in the hostel.
- Use of Computers: Installation of desktop computer systems in the hostel rooms should be done only after getting written permission from the Chief Warden. The usage of lap top computers is allowed for academic purpose only. The Hostel authorities will conduct surprise checks periodically and if anyone is found violating the above rule, disciplinary action will be taken against her.
- Students should visit the hostel office only during visiting hours.
- Students should read the circulars put up at all blocks and be updated with the functioning of the hostel. Students are instructed to attend the General meetings of the hostel. It is mandatory for Members of the Students council who are hostellers and Mess committee members.
- Violation of any of these rules would result in punitive action and serious violations would be referred to the “Students Disciplinary Committee”. The decision of the committee would however be final.
The gentlemen hostel provides accommodation for 350 students of our campus. The Hostels are located in a separate enclave of 0.75acres and with two building units of 1471.95sqm & 1454.32sqm respectively. In the spacious and ventilated dining hall 100 students can dine at a time. The first building was established in the year 1970. Presently the two hostel blocks have a total enrollment of 210 graduates. These buildings have been named as House of Lords & House of Princes.
HOSTEL ADMINISTRATION: The hostels have a Chief Warden: Dr. Ramesh Babu, and three Deputy Wardens. The Student General Secretary for the Hostel is Mr.S.Dileep Kumar. The hostel association is now with the Pre-final year Graduate students.
HOUSE OF LORDS: Established in the year 1970, consists of 3 floors with 18 rooms in each floor and a total accommodation of 54 (3 students per room). In addition each floor has a common room which can accommodate 6 students. Each floor is provided with adequate restroom facilities. The block has TV hall and a well equipped gymnasium.
HOUSE OF PRINCES: Established in the year 1970, consists of 3 floors with 18 rooms in each floor and a total accommodation of 54 (3 students per room). In addition each floor has a common room which can accommodate 6 students. Each floor is provided with adequate restroom facilities.
RAGGING FREE ZONE: We have a separate anti ragging committee headed by the general secretary.
The hostel has a student’s cafeteria run by the students, with a well maintained dining hall which can accommodate 100 students at a time. The cafeteria is open from 7am to 10am in the morning for the breakfast, 12 noon to 2 pm for lunch, 4pm to 6pm for high tea and 7pm to 9pm for dinner. The students are practiced to being in the cafeteria on time. OTHER FACILITIES Include a parking shed for the bikes, laundry, purified drinking water facility, recreation hall, and visitors hall . HOSTEL SECURITY Hostel has 2 security agents in the morning and night and a gate room is provided for them. HOSTEL OFFICE: A separate office for hostel administration is present within the hostel with 2 staff working from 10 am to 5 pm on all week days. The staff also include 2 housekeepers and 7 cleaning staffs work in the hostel.