Willem Einthoven (1860 – 1927) a Dutch doctor and physiologist. Einthoven made a string galvanometer with very thin filament of conductive wire passing between very strong electromagnets that would cause the string to move. A light shining on the string would cast a shadow on a moving roll of photographic paper, forming a continuous curve showing the movement of the string. This was first practical electrocardiogram (ECG ) invented in 1903 and given the Nobel Prize in Medicine in 1924.
Message of the Chair:
Dr.J.M.Ravichandran Edwin MD DM
Professor of Cardiology
Our department was the first super specialty department to be started in TVMCH, in 1991. The department presently caters to more than 250 patients per day at its OPD and has a fully functional ICCU and basic cardiac studies.
|List of Succession of the Department|
|Dr. J.M.Ravichandran Edwin||2010|
The Department has a postgraduate and graduate training program in basic cardiology and our graduates, interns and residents are taught and trained on
- Applied Anatomy: Heart and great vessels, congenital anomalies; development of heart.
- Applied Physiology: Cardiac cycle, cardiac output, pressure and volume loops, cardiac contractility, pulmonary circulation, coronary circulation, blood pressure, cardiac failure, acid base balance. Autonomic control of heart and vasculature, pulmonary function tests and their application to cardiology, interpretation of data on PET.
- Applied Pathology: Congenital heart disease, rheumatic fever and lesions, myocarditis, cardiomyopathies, pericarditis, constrictive pericarditis, infective endocarditis, coronary artery disease including myocardial infarction, hypertensive heart disease, pulmonary embolism, cardiac tumors.
- Applied Pharmacology: Cardiac glycosides, anti-hypertensives, diuretics, drugs for coronary artery disease, beta-blockers, calcium channel blockers, inotropic agents, antibiotics, anti-arrhythmic agents.
- Cardiovascular Imaging: Chest x-ray, ECG, Echo, Nuclear imaging, MRI, CT scan, hemodynamics and interventions.
- Clinical Cardiology: Congenital, ischemic heart disease, myocardial disorders, pericardial, valvar heart disease, pulmonary hypertension, cardiac tumours, cardiac arrhythmias, other system disorders affecting cardiology.
- A study of the incidence and patterns of arrhythmias in golden hour of myocardial infarction
- A Study of Serum Uric Acid levels in Acute Myocardial Infarction
- A Study of the Clinical Profile in Right Ventricular Myocardial Infarction
- A Study of Liver Function Test in Congestive Heart Failure
- A Study of Microalbuminuria in non diabetic non hypertensive patients with Coronary Artery Disease
- A Comparative study of Lipoprotein(a) levels in Diabetic & Non-diabetic with Acute Coronary syndrome
- A Study of the incidence of Hyper—Homocystinemia in young Myocardial Infarction
- A Study of the Outcome of thrombolysis in hypertensive patient with myocardial infarction
- A study of correlations of HSCRP & lipoprotein(a) in metabolic syndrome
Out department offers
Service On an average 250 patients pas through this area every day. The patients come from the rural centres in Tirunelveli district referred from other institutions and hospital. We offer a complete work up of common clinical cardiac problems including an echocardiogram in a single visit. A rapid screening for cardiac fitness in patients who await non cardiac surgery is available. We also provide support to master cardiac health check program.
Indoor Services This forms the back bone of our support service. The problems ranges from rheumatic heart disease, complicated myocardial infarctions, to rare complex cyanotic heart disease. The patients admitted to the different General adult and children wards are examined, investigated, managed and reviewed with singular care and regularity.
Intensive Coronary Care Unit Our ICCU started functioning in the year 1988. It has since then been associated with evolution of coronary care in Tirunelveli District and has a unique “Zero delay” protocol in which the patient with chest pain arrive here directly bye-passing the A&ER. It provides the state of art of coronary care. It’s the only centre where fully qualified consultants administer the treatment right from the patient arrival in ICCU in our district.
Our Echo lab is one of the earliest to be launched in the district. It has contributed immensely to development and propagation of this vital non invasive facility in this region.
Stress echocardio-graphy using drugs like dobutamine is specifically used in patients with Coronary artery disease who cannot exercise .It is becoming a useful investigation in the evaluation of CAD.
We have Echo machines with facility to do TEE . Being a referral hospital TEE has become the vital investigation in our institute.
Exercise stress testing
Stress ECG by means of computerized treadmill and analyzer done for all patients prior to coronary angiogram and also for subsequent evaluation of revascularisation procedures.
Include Bio-Chemistry ,Immunology, Microbiology and Clinical Pathology. They do an excellent work in the pre and post operative care of the patients. The cardiac immunology and microbiology laboratory have made a mark in the preventive program of Rheumatic Heart disease. This cardiac immunology laboratory was the first in Government institution to organize serological diagnosis of rheumatic fever.
|Statistics of the Department|